Gov Obiano Suspends 12 More Traditional Rulers Over Controversial Abuja Visit Hosted By Billionaire
The governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano has suspended with immediate effect the 12 Igwes who went on an ill-advised trip to Abuja without consultation or approval from the Government of Anambra State.
Announcing the suspension in a circular titled “Suspension of Twelve (12) Traditional Rulers in Anambra State,” the Commissioner for Local Government, Chieftaincy and Community Affairs, Mr. Greg Obi listed the affected traditional rulers as follows -
1. Igwe Alex Edozieuno of Mkpunando
2. Igwe Mark Anthony Okonkwo of Alor
3. Igwe Chukuwma Bob Vincent Orji of Ezinifite
4. Igwe Engr G.B.C Mbakwe of Abacha
5. Igwe Chijioke Nwankwo of Nawfia
6. Igwe Nkeli Nelly of Igbariam
7. Igwe Anthony Onyekwere of Owelle
8. Igwe A. N Onwuneme of Ikenga
9. Igwe Simon Ikechukwu Chidubem of Umumbo
10. Igwe S. O Uche of Ezira
11. Igwe Dr Emeka Ilouno of Ifitedunu
12. Igwe Peter Ikegbunem Udoji of Eziagulu Otu.
The circular further warned the suspended traditional rulers not to parade themselves as traditional rulers and desist from discharging any functions as traditional rulers in their respective communities or anywhere within the state and beyond with immediate effect.
The circular also revoked their membership to the Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council and cancelled any appointment they may be holding in government committees until the suspension is lifted.
The Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council led by the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe (below) had earlier strongly condemned the ill-fated trip of the rebellious traditional rulers who he said were invited to Abuja by billionaire Arthur Eze on a chest-thumping mission to demonstrate his ambition to turn Anambra State into his private fiefdom.
Related: Anambra Oldest Monarch Loses Wife
The traditional ruler of Ukwulu, Igwe Peter Uyanwa had similarly been suspended for similar misconduct the previous week.